Update: for those who want to see what the light house looks like here's a link.
Opinion - 27 May 2017
5 hours ago
The current Anglican cathedral stands on the site of a monastic church founded by King Peada of Mercia in 655.The monastic settlement was destroyed by Vikings in 870, but was revived in 972 by Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury. The town surrounding the abbey was eventually named Peterburgh after the saint to whom the abbey was dedicated.Although damaged during the struggle between the Norman invaders and local folk-hero, Hereward the Wake, the church was repaired, and continued to thrive until destroyed by fire in 1116.This event necessitated the building of a new church, which took a total of 120 years to complete, and was consecrated in 1238.