Friday, March 13, 2009

It's Nice to Know You're Not Alone in This

Jan at A Church for Starving Artists has written a great post which clarifies a lot of my thinking the past few months and help me realize where some of my own exhaustion is coming from.  She calls her post The Pain of Transformation and I thank her for it.  I've done interims in healthy growing parishes and in reasonably healthy stable ones.  To try to help a parish face the facts they need to change is exhausting. I especially appreciated the question "How can we avoid letting disgruntled members sabotage faithful efforts to move our churches into the 21st Century?"  I read the Alban Institute article on the Power of Feelings earlier this week and I've got both the Vestry and the ECW reading Alban books on change so we can discuss their contents.  Still the hard work will come with the priest they select as their new rector.  One of the downsides of being an Interim is the fruits of your labor are reaped by others.  Hopefully there won't be too many weeds left for that person to hoe.  Thank you Jan for your post.

No comments: