Wednesday, November 4, 2009

No Gay Marriage in Maine, Alas

I am really upset that Maine did not reject Question 1 and allow marriage for all couples, GLBT or straight.  I've shed a few tears this morning in anger and frustration.  I've looked up the voting statistics in the various counties and I do believe what people have told me is basically true.  There are two Maines.  The only two big(ish) cities, Portland and Bangor voted No, while rural Mainers tended to vote Yes.  Although the town I live in voted NO, the county did not, although the county vote was nearly 50/50.  In addition, the Roman Catholic church still has considerable influence in spite of progressive groups that don't hesitate to question their authority. I am truly sorry for all gay and lesbian Mainers who wanted the choice of marriage for themselves and their families.  I am truly sorry that an opportunity was lost to show the rest of the country what "justice for all" really means.

8 comments:

Leonard said...

Thank you for the kind sentiments...we´ll keep on moving and find OUR way...we´re really good at that, it´s a group quality and one that we identify easily with at TEC...love to all the kind, and justice seeking folks who love and support us along the way...thanks for saying NO to fear and hate.

Abrazos fuerte,
Leonardo Ricardo

Loon Song said...

Amelia,

I, too, was quite disheartened at the lack of support for all couples to marry. There have only been a couple of times when I have felt embarrassed to live here, because of a particular political vote. This is one of them. Our state motto, Dirigo (I lead) is a misnomer now. We are not even following well!

Sue

motheramelia said...

Leonardo and Loon Song, I'm sure the fight isn't over. It's just discouraging right now. We certainly are not leading.

June Butler said...

Amelia, I feel your pain. At least Maine has its moments. In Louisiana, we don't even have moments.

motheramelia said...

Mimi, Thank you. All I did was put my name to an ad in the local paper supporting "No". Many others spent a lot of their time and effort on this issue. It will happen. I just have no idea when. Maybe the courts will get involved.

Doorman-Priest said...

Yes very sad. I am truly sorry.

Brian R said...

Disappointing, probably it is just as well we do not have these kinds of votes, they seem to raise one's hopes. Here we can just blame our politicians.

motheramelia said...

Brian, the politicians did it right. Even the governor who was initially opposed signed a bill into law making it legal for any couple to marry. The vote was to overturn what the legislature had done. The turnout was nearly 60 percent. Unheard of in an off year. The catholic and evangelical churches really worked to get their voters out. Of course those in favor of same-sex marriage did so too, so I think the vote really was representative of the people in this state. There are a lot of older people who just don't get it.