Saturday, August 15, 2009

Theatre Connections

Last week I drove to Monmouth to see Twelfth Night that my daughter's friend directed. It was a fun production and the cast had a lot of energy. The staging was wonderful. It starts off with Feste dressed in early 20th century garb in a movie studio and the characters are costumed to resemble people like Mae West and Buster Keaton and the Keystone Kops and swashbucklers, etc. Not only does said friend act and direct, she also teaches acting in California during the winter.

Then yesterday said friend and a friend of hers came to town for lunch with me. Daughter and friend met in Vienna in the 80s at the English Theatre. Friend is a actress (and director) and daughter had just finished two years in university studying theatre arts. Daughter worked mostly for free and backstage except for one play where she had a bit role. Friend had leading roles. It's hard to believe it's been over 20 years since those days. Vienna's English Theatre is still going strong. Not only did we have lunch, I introduced them to a couple of great stores in town and then we went to the bookstore.

I'm sorry I had no idea that she was in Maine earlier in the summer, otherwise I would have seen more of the productions. Friend is also Gertrude in Hamlet and and Angelique in A Little Hotel on the Side.


No comments: