Friday, January 1, 2010

My First Rose Parade

Never mind that I lived in the LA area for 11 years in the 60s and 70s and that I would sometimes visit the LA area in the years after that.  I always watched the Rose Parade on TV.  My ex didn't want to travel from Hermosa Beach to Pasadena to stake out a place and he would never dream of paying for a bleacher seat.  So today, my son and grandson and I went to the end of the route and watched the bands and floats with the crowd that was there.  It was lots of fun, not one that I would do every year, but I think that at age 70 it was time.  Grandson was a bit of a pain to watch a parade with though.  He is classified as a high-functioning autistic and any little thing can cause him to scream.  We had hot dogs from a street vendor (there were a lot of them) and that helped get us through the two hours and the walk back to the car.

Now I'm back at my daughter's house.  Izzie had to stay there while we went to the parade, because I didn't think she could do all the walking.  There were lots of dogs about, though. Probably none a month out of back surgery.  All very well behaved.  After the parade I had Thai food that my son-in-law ordered for take out.  Izzie and I are stretched out on the couch.

The next thing I'm going to do is to go the the Getty on Sunday.  We have brunch reservations at the restaurant and I'm looking forward to seeing the Rembrandt and His Pupils exhibit.  According to the Getty website:
"Telling the difference between drawings by Rembrandt and his pupils is a centuries-old problem. A popular teacher with more than 50 documented students, Rembrandt taught all of them to draw in his style. Together, they produced thousands of drawings, and even immediately after Rembrandt's death, there was confusion about who made them. In the last 30 years scholars have made major strides in their ability to recognize Rembrandt's drawings from those of his students."
The last time I was at the Getty was for their Mt. Sinai icons exhibit, which was fabulous.  It's become a tradition for my daughter and me to enjoy a meal at the restaurant there.  This year her husband is joining us, I think because they have crab cakes on the menu.

6 comments:

Leonard said...

You get around just fine and Izzy is there too! Amazing, how you operate dear Mother Amelia, such zestful living...I did the older part of my growing up as a child in Los Angeles...I remember Colorado Blvd and those long nights (that were so much fun)...then, with any luck at all we got had seats at the Rose Bowl for the game...rush, rush! I don´t think I could pull that one off anymore...anyway, it´s fun to hear about your adventures and to think of your wonderful and adventuresome life.

Len

motheramelia said...

One of my three core values is adventure. I rarely say no to a new one. Hope you have a wonderful New Year Len.

whiteycat said...

Happy New Year to you and Izzie from me and my "four fabulous felines." Many blessings and good health to both of you.

PseudoPiskie said...

I'm jealous. I would love to see the Getty but doubt I'll get to LA for any reason in the foreseeable future. Happy New Year to you and Izzie and your family.

Brian R said...

Good to hear you are enjoying your visit. My sister and I spent a wonderful day at the Getty in 2007.

motheramelia said...

The Getty is our last outing. I expect to leave Monday headed toward Yuma, AZ. Thanks for all the good wishes Whiteycat and Pseudo. Brian, I love the Getty. Still have to get to the Getty in Malibu since it's re-opened. I'd love the see all their Greco-Roman stuff.