Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday Morning Prayer for the Season of Spring

I've gone back to using Prayers for a Planetary Pilgrim:  A Personal Manual for Prayer and Ritual by Edward Hays for my daily devotions. I do that every now and then. The Wednesday Morning Prayer for Spring contains the following:
Open as well my third eye that I may see you hidden in countless forms in the springtime beauty of creation and in my brothers and sisters, each made in your image.....I pray on this springtime Wednesday morning especially for the conversion of my society. May I by simple word and deed, be part of the redemptive work begun by your son Jesus and so bring about justice and peace on this small planet.
I've taken some pictures of a choke cherry tree in the lawn outside the rectory.  As soon as I transfer them I'll put one it on this post.  The lilac is beginning to flower and the church garden has patches of purple, red and yellow flowers.  The lupine is growing and I would expect than in a few weeks it will be in full bloom.  There's a patch at the golf course that is quite amazing and I am waiting for it to come out.  From the right spot, you get the lupines, with the lake and mountains as a backdrop.  Seeing God in nature is easy up here.  My deacon says God sat here when s/he created the world.  

What is much harder to do is to work as the prayer said, for the conversion of our society.   The apocalyptic world in the gospel reading for the Martyrs of Uganda (Matt. 24: 9-14) made me pause and sigh. It would be wonderful to live in a world where Jesus' gospel of love and forgiveness was the norm rather than the exception.  That would be heaven.

2 comments:

June Butler said...

Beautiful prayer from Hays. I like the third eye imagery.

Apropos of what I can't remember, I told my grandchildren about the Cyclops yesterday. They had never heard of him. They tell me that mythology is not taught in their school. What a pity.

motheramelia said...

It is a shame. It seems to me that from grade school on we got bits of it. As you can probably tell I really like Hays' work.